Trendy vs. Timeless Home Décor
When you plan your home decorating style one of your first decisions has to be whether you prefer a trendy or timeless look. Trends, by definition, constantly change while timeless styles are rooted in enduring traditions. For many modern homeowners, the best approach is to find a balance between the two. Let’s look at how you can create a home that combines the best of both worlds.
Timeless Home Décor
The nice thing about timeless décor is that you don’t have to worry about it going out of style. Traditional elements give your home an elegant look. Here are some examples.
- Vintage pieces. An antique dresser, sofa, or desk adds elegance to any room and goes with any style.
- Built-in bookcases. Whether you use them for books or to display other items, built-in shelves give any home a classic look.
- A traditional kitchen with granite or quartz countertops and soft colors such as white, creme, light gray or taupe.
- A bedroom with soft and soothing colors such as blue or gray and a vintage dresser.
Other elements that add a timeless, classic look include fireplaces, crown molding, marble bathrooms and vintage clawfoot bathtubs. These and other timeless elements give your home a certain solidity and enduring appeal. This doesn’t mean, however, that you can’t also add some trendy effects as well.
While it’s always nice to furnish and decorate your home with timeless items, it’s also fun to mix in some trendiness. This gives you a chance to indulge your own preferences and to show that you keep up with the times. Trends may include colors, furniture styles, lighting, art, flooring and more. Here are some tips to get the most out of trendy elements.
- Use trendy pieces as accents and finishing touches. For example, you could place a trendy lamp, vase or another decorative item on a vintage desk. Such lightweight pieces are easy to replace when they’re no longer in style.
- Wall art such as prints and posters are also examples of trendy items that you can easily switch around as needed. You can also have more timeless artwork such as oil paintings, of course.
- Limit your investment in trendy items. Since these are pieces that aren’t meant to endure, it doesn’t make sense to pay a lot for them. It makes more sense to invest in timeless pieces that you won’t have to replace.
- Keep up with the latest trends in décor. You can do this by browsing magazines, websites, and stores. TV reality shows about home decorating such as Inside Out Homes and Amazing spaces are also helpful. You don’t have to buy into every new trend, of course. Stick to items that you really like and that fit into your home’s overall style. However, it’s good to stay informed on the latest trend so you know what’s available.
You don’t actually have to choose between timeless and trendy décor. The real challenge is to find the right balance between the two. This lets you express your individuality while also giving your home a traditional look.