First Things To Buy Before Moving Into Your New Home
After you’ve signed the contract for your new home and are ready to make the big move, you want to make the process as easy as possible. There are so many details to consider when moving into a new home. You don’t want to be running back and forth to the store or waiting for dozens of packages to arrive because you’ve forgotten some essentials. Here are some tips on the first things to buy when you’ve bought or built your home.
These are everyday items that “everybody” has but that you might forget to bring or buy before you move in.
- Linens: bedding and towels.
- Tools: Hammer, pliers, a multipurpose screwdriver and a set of wrenches.
- Flashlights: Get several of varying sizes. Don’t forget extra batteries.
- Window Coverings: You may want to expand on this later but you should start off with at least basic curtains, drapes or blinds for privacy.
- Can opener
- Light bulbs
- Hangers: You don’t want to have to keep your clothes in boxes or suitcases.
- Shower curtain
- Toilet paper
To keep your new home clean and tidy.
- Vacuum cleaner
- Cleaning essentials such as bleach, dish soap, toilet bowl cleaner, sponges and scouring pads.
- Trash cans and bags
Safety and Security
These items will help keep you and your family safe.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. You can also find two-in-one devices that detect both smoke and carbon monoxide.
- Fire extinguisher
- New locks and keys: If you’re moving into a home that already has locks, be sure to change them right away. Most homeowners share keys with family members, friends and others. You don’t want to move into a house where dozens of keys may be circulating. If your home is brand new, make sure locks are installed and that you have several sets of keys.
- Security system. You’ll sleep more soundly at night knowing your home is protected. There are some good smart wireless systems that secure doors and windows. For added protection, consider security cameras as well.
- Security lights. Motion detector lights are another essential item for home security.
For the Yard and Garden
Depending on what kind of yard you have you may need some or all of these supplies.
- Watering can
- Garden hose
- Pots and pans
- Appliances: toaster, microwave, coffee maker, blender.
Be Prepared and Enjoy Your New Home to the Fullest
The above are some guidelines on what to buy before moving into your new home. Naturally, you should adjust and add to this list based on your particular needs. You’ll find it a lot more fun and less stressful if you have all the essentials and amenities when you move in.