It’s always nice to find ways to make your home more comfortable, attractive and valuable. When you think of upgrades, you have hundreds of choices. How do you select the options that make the most sense?
The 7 Best Upgrades for Your Home
Here are some tips on the best upgrades for your home that don’t require a large budget or extensive renovations.
Clean and Paint, Inside and Out
Thorough cleaning is one of the simplest yet most effective ways to transform the look of a home. Painting interior and exterior walls is another action that yields fast results.
- Deep clean carpets
- Power wash the exterior
- Clean baseboards, walls, doors, and cabinets
- Create an accent wall by adding a new color
- Paint the ceiling
Upgrade Your Kitchen Cabinets
The kitchen is one of your home’s most visible and frequently used rooms. People’s eyes are naturally drawn to the cabinets. While it can be quite costly to replace kitchen cabinets, simply painting them makes a big difference. Another option is to replace your cabinets’ hardware with new hinges and door handles.
Give Your Home a Spacious Look
A spacious, open feeling is more comfortable for you and very appealing to buyers if you ever want to sell your home. There are many ways to open up your home without tearing down walls.
- A large mirror makes a room seem larger
- Get rid of clutter
- Downsize large and bulky furniture
- Install more shelving. Floor to ceiling shelves give you more storage space and also making the ceiling seem higher. Another option is floating shelves, which you can make from reclaimed wood.
- Painting rooms with lighter colors make them seem larger
Rethink Your Lighting
Lighting makes a big difference in the way a home looks and feels. You may need some new lamps placed in strategic areas. If your ceiling fixtures are outdated, it may be time to replace these as well. Pay attention to bulbs as well. A room that’s too dim or that has an unpleasant glare will feel cramped or unfriendly.
Improve Windows and Treatments
Giving a fresh look to your windows and coverings has a strong effect on the room, including the temperature and lighting. Consider updating your window frames. You may want to add new, energy-efficient treatments such as drapery, blinds or shutters.
Find Simple Ways to Upgrade Your Bathroom
Everyone appreciates a comfortable and stylish bathroom. Here are some easy upgrades to consider:
- Install a vent fan to circulate air and prevent mold.
- Reseal with new caulking around the bathroom, especially the bathtub and shower.
- Consider a new, eco-friendly toilet.
- A vanity gives your bathroom a classic look and provides additional storage.
Boost Curb Appeal
Curb appeal includes everything easily visible to anyone passing by your house. The following are some changes to consider.
- Replace or paint your front door
- Clean up and declutter the front porch
- Replace the door knocker and the house numbers
- Add more plants and flowers to the front yard or in planters on the porch
- Upgrade the lighting by your front door
- Install a new mailbox
These are some easy and economical upgrades to consider. Remember that even small changes and improvements add up to the overall appearance of a home. For more information on major home improvement projects, contact us!